Loading...

Monday, June 23, 2008

R.I.P. George Carlin: 1937-2008

It is not often that I will dive into a non-sports topic here at Home Field Advantage but certain days and events cause for us to take a step back and remember. This is one of them.

George Carlin was, without question, the funniest person I have ever seen, heard or read. Alive for 71 years, he practiced his hilarious brand of stand-up comedy for 52 of them. There was never a Carlin special that did not have me rolling on the floor or crying hysterically.

Entertainers and comedians pass away as often as the rest of us but few make you stop and think about your whole life. I may not be that old, but I remember watching Carlin from childhood (maybe that wasn't the best of ideas) to just a few months ago in his last stand-up special. Intelligent. Profane. Hysterical. Sarcastic. Consistent.

He taught me how to curse intelligently, and while some saw him as profane to a fault, I saw him as a man who hated hypocrisy, was intrigued by word play and loved to make people laugh. Either way, everybody loved George Carlin and he will be greatly missed.

Award-winning comedian George Carlin dies - CNN.com
How George Carlin Changed Comedy - TIME.com



No comments: