Loading...

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Belmont Stakes, Big Brown Wrap-Up

While I, along with the rest of the world, was certainly disappointed at Big Brown's performance and inability to win the Triple Crown, the 140th Belmont Stakes wasn't all bad. Due to the close attention I paid to the first two legs of the Triple Crown, I was able to get a nice look at some of the competition and saw Denis of Cork as strong competition that could go the extra distance.

It led me to take three bets on Saturday--Big Brown to Win (simply for fun and with the odds at 1-5 it couldn't have been for the money), Denis of Cork to Win, Place or Show and Denis of Cork to Place. Obviously two of the three came in, and at 16-1, it paid nicely. That doesn't mean you should start listening to anything I say about horses; I'm simply patting myself on a back for a day of betting gone well.

It will now be interesting to see if Big Brown's trainer, blowhard Rick Dutrow Jr., plans to race his horse in the Breeder's Cup in October. Everyone expected Big Brown to race in the event if he won the Triple Crown to "prove" his dominance in the sport. Now that he failed during the third leg, what will his legacy end up being? We shall see...

No comments: