Loading...

Friday, May 16, 2008

WNBA: “She wouldn’t say that, would you?”

In an example of yet another marketing campaign gone horribly wrong, the WNBA has shot itself in the foot with their latest attempt to be relevant in the sports landscape.


Below are two of their 30-second spots airing through the duration of the NBA Playoffs.

I’m sorry, but you couldn’t pay me to watch women’s basketball. Nothing exciting ever happens. Look at the WNBA—the league has stayed the same for 10 years. There is no new blood. What kind of future does that league have? None that I can see. Candace Parker, WNBA “Expect Great”

No offense, but women’s basketball is a joke. You won’t see me driving hard to the hoop. I’d rather settle for mid-range jumpers…wide-open ones too…since girls don’t play defense. You want to see real basketball? Don’t watch me. Tamika Catchings, WNBA “Expect Great”

Problem is, genius marketers, not only are these beliefs commonly held by the majority of sports fans—they are spot-on true. Most sports fans would rather watch a replay of a NFL regular season game from 1994 than Game 5 of the WNBA Finals. With the exception of Parker and Diana Taurasi, there is no influx of marketable, young talent. The game is stagnant and dull. Crowds are small, ratings are embarrassingly non-existent and polls show overwhelmingly that even women and children (the league’s target demographics) would rather watch or attend something else.

And, please, don't get me wrong. I am not a hater of women’s basketball. I enjoy a solid Women’s NCAA or USA National Team Olympic game as much as anyone. I worked for two years on press row for the University of Florida women’s basketball team. While it is low on my list of sports, I respect ability and good competition and women are certainly capable of that.

But when the only reason you still exist is because of your NBA backing and ability to help foster non-profit efforts, it is time to fold and look elsewhere. Throwing marketing campaigns out that provide dissenters further reasons not to watch your product is simply not intelligent. Sarcasm is not effective if the statement is commonly held or true.

Even the tag line is ineffective. "Expect Great." How can I expect great if all I've seen in 12 years is mediocre?

Sorry, WNBA, back to the drawing boards. Oh, and to answer your question: Yes, I would say that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but where else are we gonna go to pick up lesbians?

Michael S. Roberts said...

Stop treating objects like women man....j/k. Love the new blog, keep it up!