Loading...

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Taylor "Steps" Away From Dolphins

During a post-practice press conference Wednesday afternoon, Miami Dolphins Head Coach Tony Sparano shocked the media and sports landscape with his announcement regarding the future of Pro Bowl DE Jason Taylor and his decision to hold out from the team.
"This is my reaction with the Jason Taylor situation, and I'm going to answer this question one time. I'm not going to answer another question about the Jason Taylor situation after I answer this," Sparano began.

"Here's what I know: What I know is that Jason Taylor -- and I'm glad we've gotten the information; that's important -- I know that Jason is not going to be at any OTAs (organized-team activities). I know that Jason is not going to be at any minicamps, and I know that right now, that Jason is not going to be at training camp. So that's what we know. Jason's a player under contract with the Miami Dolphins. He knows that. Both parties are well aware of the information. That's all I'm going to say about it. I want to talk to my players now."
There are not many situations in which I find myself at a loss for words. This is one of them. The fact of the matter is that I have never been more dead-on in my assessment of a situation such as this one in as long as I can remember! Additionally, many columnists have already put this story in such great perspective that I would rather feature their words to sum-up my opinions.

In this case, we are talking about Omar Kelly, the Sun-Sentinel's Miami Dolphins beat writer and blogger.
The voluntary stuff most of us can understand. After all, it is VOLUNTARY. But passing on an obligation, missing mandatory team stuff...that's betraying your commitment to the relationship, and it crosses the line. (. . .)

Dolphins fans need to hear the words for it to officially be over. Jason Taylor, you need to breakup with the Dolphins for everyone involved to move on, allowing you and the team to finally part ways. (. . .) If Jason Taylor wants out he needs to say it so we know where he stands.

Stop being so darn image conscious. Stop dancing around your intentions like you do a dance floor. We understand you've been unhappy in this relationship for the past four or five years. We understand the reasons you might want out. It's never fun losing. How many new coaches and regimes have you had? You want to end your possible Hall of Fame career on a title contender, and we realize we've let our looks slip a little.

It's fine that you want to move on. Not everyone still believes in true love. But don't try to blame shift your desires for another on our alleged wandering eye. Don't try to make new management out to be a bad guy to save your image, painting a picture that Bill Parcells wants to get rid of you, and has given you - the franchise player - the cold shoulder.

While that very well might be the case, if you truly plan to sit out training camp for WHATEVER reason you need to fess up. Put ego aside, as difficult as it might be right now, and be a man! Jason Taylor needs to stand-up and say it's over. Say, "I love you, we've had a good run, but I don't want to be with you anymore Miami. (. . .)

But you Jason Taylor, all this sneaking around, all this he said she said. All these rumors about your secret desires, and back-door dealings and demands, or requests, it's made this situation ugly.

All the Trifecta did on Wednesday was air out your dirty laundry, put your business out on the street without any spin doctoring. They blame shifted, and it was strategically done. Now the ball is in your court.

If you're ready to move on, we can deal with it....we really can, and we'll still check out your movies and support your charity efforts.... but you need to be upfront and tell Dolphins fans that's the case.

Sure it'll hurt, but that's the only way there can be a clean breakup, and that's what Dolfans need to start the healing process. It's about time this franchise finally starts healing, and if that means doing it without you, so be it.
Read Omar Kelly's full column and his blog at Sun-Sentinel.com

No comments: