Loading...

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Sosa to Retire After World Baseball Classic

Former Texas Rangers outfielder Sammy Sosa announced today that he will retire from baseball following the 2009 World Baseball Classic. Sosa, best known for his 13-year stint with the Chicago Cubs, is a free agent and not signed to a MLB roster after posting 21 home runs and 92 RBIs last season.
"There's something that I wish to state very clearly: I'm not looking for a job," Sosa told Hoy, a Dominican newspaper. "In fact, I have told my agent that he should stop offering my services to MLB teams. I'm not retired. I remain highly focused and not begging for a contract."
Sosa's alleged involvement with steroids, coupled with his June 2003 corked bat incident, badly hindered the reputation of the only player in MLB history with three 60+ home run seasons. He will retire from baseball as one of only five players to hit 600 home runs and at number five on the career home run list.
"It would be great if folks can see me for the last time wearing the uniform of the [Dominican Republic] National Team," Sosa said. "It's always an honor to represent your country."
While Sosa has certainly had his ups and downs since 2003, I am still left wondering why he is not on an MLB roster right now. As a DH for an American League team or even a Tim Raines-like pinch hitter for a young team that needs a little extra pop, Sosa can still contribute as proven by his 2007 numbers.

I also find it interesting how all of Sosa's achievements are still overshadowed by the corked bat more so than anything else (including steroids.) People fail to remember one simple fact: Sammy Sosa was instrumental in the rebirth of baseball in this country. He, along with Mark McGwire, were responsible for some of the most exciting drama in sports history culminating with McGwire's (at the time) record-breaking home run and celebration with Sosa who was both his opponent in the race and during that game.

So while some may only remember Sosa for his faults, I choose to remember him for his glory and, most of all, his swing.

No comments: