Loading...

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Jorge Posada done behind the plate?

Love or hate them, the New York Yankees are never void of interesting news stories. In an offseason met with a lot of questions, the Yankees decided to keep a number of their veterans signing Andy Pettite for a season and Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada to multi-year deals.

As is often the case with older players signing these types of deals, Posada has been injured all season. The most recent diagnosis is that his right labrum is deteriorating and will require surgery. A catcher without a labrum is useless.

During spring training and in rare bouts this year, new manager Joe Girardi had Posada practicing and playing at first base, giving him another option to contribute aside from staying behind the plate. While not his natural position, Posada played well, but nevertheless fought the move:

"I want to catch. I'm a catcher; I'm not a first baseman," Posada said.

Now, with the only two options being to play first and DH or sit out the remainder of the season, Posada has thankfully changed his tune.

"It's not about me. It's about the team now," Posada said. "How can I help the team? That's why I'm going to go through the rehab. If I'm able to hit, I'm going to try to do that. If I'm not able to hit, I'm going to have surgery."

I love Jorge, let’s not get it twisted. He had a career season last year. Nevertheless, the quote disturbs me. “It’s about the team now.” Now? What about before? If Girardi, your manager, former teammate and catcher-in-arms thinks it is best for you to play first, you do it.

Considering the Yankees haven’t had an everyday first baseman since Tino Martinez, Posada should see this as a welcome move and a way of making his career in pinstripes last longer. On the other hand, the Yankees now need to find Posada’s replacement and find it before next season. Jose Molina is great defensively, but a Yankees catcher needs a strong bat.

On a seven-game win streak and now only 3.5 games out of first while missing both Posada and Hideki Matsui, perhaps the Yankees have finally righted the ship. Now if Posada can start hitting the ball like he did last year, he can fuel them back to the top.

No comments: